Electricity is a powerful force flowing throughout your entire home—and it’s definitely not a force you want to mess with, as the consequences could be severe. That’s why calling a highly trained home electrician can be a real lifesaver.
Here are six signs you don’t want to ignore:
- Dim or Flickering Lights– It isn’t normal for lighting to flicker, whether it happens when you turn a light on or when you are trying to use certain appliances together. Also, when you turn on your lights, you should expect them to be nice and bright, not overly dim. These may be signs of inconsistent power, deteriorating wires, or an overloaded circuit.
- Strange Buzzing Sounds– Buzzing is a bad sign. If you hear a new buzzing noise, try to locate where the sound is coming from. The noise could mean that a screw is loose in the terminals of the system, or it may be a problem with your wiring. Best practice is to turn off the main supply line and call a professional electrician.
- Older Electrical System– If your system is over 25 years old, you don’t have enough GFCI outlets (the ones with the reset/test buttons), or you have aluminum wiring, it’s time to get a home electrician over to evaluate potentially updating your system to ensure your safety.
- Frequent Trips to the Circuit Breaker– Frequent trips (unless they’re the kind that take you to a tropical island) can get annoying over time. In the case of your circuit breaker, it may mean that there is an issue with your wiring or that the circuit system is overloaded and is taking in more current than the grid can provide.
- Abnormal Smells Such as Smoking or Burning- Should you smell something burning and no one is cooking, you need to do a quick survey of the house for a possible source of the smell. If you are unable to locate the source and the smell persists, you should turn off the power and call the fire department. After they have assessed the situation, calling a home electrician is a must.
- Visible Sparks or Small Shocks– Sockets and switches may get a little warm with regular use, but if you notice them becoming hot, shocking you when you touch them, or sending out sparks, get an electrician over ASAP.
Don’t wait to call a certified home electrician from our team at Rush’s Repair if you are aware of any of these signs. We will be able to locate, diagnose, and fix the problem for you.